How to stitch a Flower of Life Quilted in the Hoop Block
Stitching a quilted in the hoop block is very simple – when you know how! Follow these step by step instructions that show how to stitch the design FlowerOfLife-06i-Block-Quilted from my new Flower of Life Collection.
To Stitch a Flower of Life quilted in the hoop block:
- Load the design into your machine (FlowerOfLife-06i-Block-Quilted)
- Prepare your background and appliqué fabric. The appliqué fabric should be backed with fusible webbing. My favorite is Lite Heat N Bond. Full details are on page 2 of Flower of Life Designs Notes.pdf.
- Cut a piece of batting the same size as the background fabric. My favorite batting to use for quilting in the hoop is Quilters Dream Orient – it’s really light weight and creates beautiful results.
- Load a piece of medium weight tearaway stabilizer into your hoop. My favorite is OESD Ultra Clean and Tear – it’s nice and soft in your finished project.
- Stitch color #1. This is a placement line to show you where to position the background fabric.
- Remove the hoop from the machine. Center the batting over the placement line stitched on the stabilizer.
Center the background fabric over the batting. Hold the fabric in place with Scotch® Magic Tape™. Return the hoop to the machine.
- Stitch color #2. This is a basting line to hold the batting and fabric in place, followed by the quilting.
- Stitch color #3. This is a placement line to show you where to put the appliqué shapes.
- Remove the hoop from the machine. Fuse your appliqué shapes in place. I like to do this with my Top Flite Sealing Iron. It gets nice and hot to give a really good bond between your background fabric and appliqué shapes and it’s small enough to get into tight spaces while being big enough to give great coverage. Return the hoop to the machine.
- Stitch colors #4-#9, the satin stitch around each appliqué shape and a triple stitch on each side of the satin stitch.
- Stitch color #10. This is a placement line to show you where to put the circle appliqué shapes.
- Remove the hoop from the machine. Fuse the appliqué shapes in place. Return your hoop to the machine.
- Stitch colors #11-#13, the satin stitch around the circles with inside and outside triple stitch.
- Stitch colors #14-#17, candle wicking detail on the petals. This is where you can really have fun with the colors of thread to create all sorts of different effects. Variegated threads are a lot of fun for candle wicking – the result will be different each time!
- Stitching is now complete. Remove the hoop from the machine and remove everything from the hoop.
- Trim the finished block to 6.5″ x 6.5″.
What would you do with a block like this? How about…
- Use it as a pocket on a tote bag.
- Make 5 more in different colors and create a soft 3D cube.
- Make 8 more and create a gorgeous pillow.
- Use it as a mug rug.
Leave me a note in the comments below and tell me what other ideas you can come up with!
To see what else you can do with the Flower of Life Collection, click here!