Inspiring Spirals for Savoring Joy
The Spirals of Life quilt was originally created for the Inspired by Libby exhibition, a collection of quilts made by award-winning quilters and teachers that were auctioned off to raise money for the Libby Lehman Medical Fund. Our hope was to give back to Libby as she has given to so many quilters throughout the world.
Libby Lehman is well known in the quilting world for her joyful approach to life, her Threadplay technique and her many award-winning quilts. She has spent a considerable amount of time teaching, judging and lecturing in the U.S., as well as internationally.
In April 2013, Libby suffered an aneurism and stroke. This changed her life dramatically. Her friends in the quilting world joined together to support Libby and her family throughout this challenging experience.
Inspired by Libby’s quilt, “Rococo Riffs,” Spirals of Life represents the move from the light to the dark and back again, a reflection of Libby’s path to healing. The spirals are white because the light is always calling to us, swirling through time and space, with bursts of color to remind us of the joy that is the light at the end of the tunnel. Spirals of Life is about choosing to live, savoring every moment.
Spirals of Life is available in 3 different options:
- Option 1: If you do NOT own an embroidery machine! This version includes SVG files for use with the Silhouette Cameo cutter to cut applique shapes and crystal templates.
- Option 2: If you own an embroidery machine with a standard sized hoop (BERNINA Large Oval Hoop or 5″ x 7″ stitching area).
- Option 3: If you own an embroidery machine with a large hoop (BERNINA Maxi Hoop or 8″ x 8″ stitching area).
Option 1 – If you do NOT own an embroidery machine!
This option includes
- Instructions to make the quilt shown, in 2 different colorways.
- SVG files to cut the applique shapes using a Silhouette Cameo or other electronic cutting machine.
- SVG files to cut the crystal templates using a Silhouette Cameo or other electronic cutting machine.
- Appliqué templates to print and trace (if you don’t own a Silhouette Cameo cutter).
Spirals of Life Option 1 digital download – $12.50
Option 2 – If you own an embroidery machine with a standard sized hoop (BERNINA Large Oval Hoop or 5″ x 7″ stitching area).
This option includes everything contained in option 1, plus:
- Multi-formatted embroidery designs to create the embroidered appliqué for the quilt.
- EXP files to use with the BERNINA Cutwork Tool to cut the applique shapes.
- EXP files to use with the BERNINA CrystalWorks Tool to cut the crystal templates.
Spirals of Life Option 2 digital download – $35 (Optional CD available at checkout.)
Option 3: If you own an embroidery machine with a large hoop (BERNINA Maxi Hoop or 8″ x 8″ stitching area).
This option contains everything included in options 1 and 2, plus:
- Multi-formatted embroidery designs to create the blocks quilted in the hoop, with and without embroidered applique.
Spirals of Life Option 3 digital download – $50 (Optional CD available at checkout.)
- Multi-format CD includes: ART, ART60, DST, EXP, HUS, JEF, PCS, PES, VP3, XXX.
Hoop Size: Designs measure 8″ x 8″. BERNINA Maxi or Jumbo hoop (or equivalent) required.
Quilt Size: 30″ x 30″
- Dark (Dark Pink / Green) – 3/4 yard* – includes binding
- Light (Light Pink / Blue) – 1/2 yard
- Spirals (White) – 1/2 yard (Back with fusible webbing before cutting)
- Muslin – 1 yard
- Use for embroidered applique or machine applique. Not necessary if quilting in the hoop
- Backing fabric – 1 yard
*Add 1/4 yard if using fabric sashing
Interlace from Fronds Design Studio was used for the original quilt.
- Dark Pink = Camelia
- Light Pink = Blush
- Green = New Shoots
- Blue = Shore
- White = Cotton
Thread: AURIfil Cotton Mako 50 weight for piecing and embroidered appliqué. 28 weight (optional) for quilting in the hoop.
- Pink colorway: 1147, 1154, 2479, 2535, 5005
- Blue colorway: 1147, 1148, 4093, 5005